We are working with a client on an addition to his manufacturing plant. He has always used metal halide fixtures to light his facilities. He would be the first to tell you he used them because they are durable and provided good light. However, on this addition, we talked him into taking a fresh look at LED fixtures. After he compared the performance charts he made the decision to go with LED. He Loves them.
So what is an LED Light? A light-emitting diode (LED) is an electronic light source. Discovered in the early 20th century, LEDs were introduced as practical components in the early 1960’s. LED technology entails words and phrases including anodes, cathodes, diodes and photons, silicon carbide, gallium arsenide and electron holes, but no need to dive into all that in this eBits. One early use of the LED light was the blinking light on your old telephone answering machine. Today’s LED is brighter and available across a number of wavelengths, including visible, ultraviolet and infrared. In other words, LEDs are a very good way to bring light to life.
Top Ten Reasons to Use LED
10. They require less energy to power. You can save up to 80% of energy when compared to incandescent bulbs and 75% when compared to halogen lamps.
9. LEDs are environmentally friendly – containing no mercury or lead.
8. Lights switch on instantly.
7. LED lights bur cooler. A traditional incandescent light dissipates about 92% of its energy as heat: an LED about 10%.
6. The LED lamps can last up to 50,000 hours.
5. They can reduce your maintenance cost of purchasing and replacing light bulbs.
4. Their solid state electronics make them vibration resistant.
3. They have a wide range of voltage applications.
2. They are extremely durable due to the materials used to manufacture the LED fixture.
And the Number 1 reason to Use LED…
- They can help you build a light saber (and who wouldn’t want to do that?).
Whatever your reason may be to use LED lighting, PDMi can help you through the process of identifying the pros and cons for your next project. Give us a call; we’d love to help…